The biggest Sunday of the year is nearly upon us, and even if your team didn’t make it to the Big Game (sorry New England), that shouldn’t stop you from enjoying hours of action-packed football, multi-million dollar commercials, Lady Gaga’s rendition of the national anthem, and Coldplay’s halftime show.
And snacks. Don’t forget the snacks. (If you’re looking for healthy snacks, check out these 13!)
Between the pre-game activities and the post-game revelries, the average American will consume a staggering 6,000 calories, according to a recent report by Cornell University researchers. Supporting the losing team only compounds the problem, increasing the caloric cost of the festivities by an average of 16 percent, according a study in the journal Psychological Science.
Your mission: Don’t be average. Establish a game plan that allows you to enjoy the day’s finger food without suffering eater’s remorse. If you’re playing host, have plenty of healthy snacks on hand for your guests. If you’re not, take a dish to the party, so you’ll know you’ll have at least one healthy food option.
Another smart move: Rev your metabolism before the kickoff with a high-intensity workout. It won’t give you a license to overeat, but it will help mitigate the damage if you get a little carried away at the buffet. “You’ll also be more likely to eat because you’re hungry, not just because food is in front of you,” says Stefan Keslacy, an assistant professor of kinesiology and nutritional science at California State University.
If you need a workout, we’ve got your back there, too. Visit Beachbody On Demand to try the 22 Minute Hard Corps Cardio Workout. This exclusive sneak peek of Tony Horton’s latest fitness program will be available free for 24 hours (full program available in March). Completing the workout will also make you eligible to enter the 22 Minute Hard Corps Sweepstakes.
Here’s how to enter the 22 Minute Hard Corps Sweepstakes:
1) If you’re not already a member, sign up for a free 30-day trial of Beachbody On Demand.
2) Complete the 22 Minute Hard Corps Cardio Workout, available for 24 hours on Sunday, February 7, 2016.
3) Take a photo or video of yourself doing the workout. Beachbody On Demand must be visible somewhere in the background of your photo or video submission.
4) Upload your photo or video to either Instagram or Twitter along with the hashtags #22MinuteHardCorps and #Sweeps. (You must use both tags.)
5) OPTIONAL: Nominate your own fitness MVP by tagging him or her in your post. You may tag up to five nominees with your submission.
Prizes: 10 randomly selected winners will receive $1,000 cash and the 22 Minute Hard Corps Base Kit. If a winner nominated any fitness MVPs, those MVPs will each receive the 22 Minute Hard Corps Base Kit.
by Hannah Rex